Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Livingstone, Zambia

Livingstone, Zambia by Barrybar
Livingstone, Zambia, a photo by Barrybar on Flickr.

A woman offered to take my picture and here I am, the spray from the Victoria Falls providing background. I have learned to accept just about all offers to take my picture. In Manaus, Brasil, last year, I declined to have my photo taken. And for no damn good reason.

Here, after I visited the falls and returned totally soaked, even my prized $2 pair of shorts which I had purchased in town.

At least, in this eastern cataract, the Victoria Falls swoop down in a narrow space. Consequently, it sends sprays up which, in some sections, fall as rain.

Today (24 Feb), I leave for the town of Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe to check out the view from their side. Then head to Bulawayo by train, which I hear is quite harrowing. Not as genteel as the good, old days. I already have a contact in Bulawayo, a Jamaican. Then I head east to Masvingo where I will visit the ruins known as Great Zimbabwe, which are so incredible that historians have proclaimed that black folks could never have made them. Must have been beings from outer space.

Plan is to then head to the capital, Harare, to fly to Durban, South Africa, on my way to Cape Town.

No comments: