Thursday, June 17, 2004

CASAS DE CAMBIO

Caracas, 17 June 2004

Believe me, it is quite a challenge to change dollars in Caracas. And, I would suppose the entirety of Venezuela.

In the first place, many of the money changers behave as if they are doing something illegal.

The official rate is $1 = 1,916.00 but, of course, it fluctuates daily. Yesterday, a woman on the street took me to a small office on the second floor. Initially, the changer wrote 2,500 Bolivares but by the time I produced the money it was 2,000. The day before I got 2,100.

This morning I went to two locations a block from where I stayed the past few days, at the El Conde. I leave on Sunday so the trick is not to do so with a lot of Bolivares in my pocket. Consequently, I was trying to change $50 but they kept insisting on changing my $100. At the first place, I returned the 240,000 Bolivares and recovered my $100. At the second place, I practically grabbed my money out of his hands and walked out. It´s as if they are dictating what you do with your money.

Finally, I walked to Avenida Urdaneta, following the directions from the woman who sold me orange juice. I spoked with a man who took me to a jewellery store. At first, they didn´t have change of the $100, but, finally, I changed $60 at the rate of 2,500. Which was a hell of a lot better than in Altamira, on the same block as my hotel, Floresta. They, American Express, offer the worst rates you can find in Caracas, about 1,900 Bolivares and compound it by charging you an interest for service.

I´m not a big spender so I don´t see why this money shouldn´t carry me through to my ride, Aeropostal, on Sunday afternoon.

PBB

No comments: