Wednesday, June 16, 2004

In Search of ...

Caracas, Venezuela

I must have cut quite a suspicious figure this afternoon, standing at the gate of the Casa Blanca, asking the guard if this is where the April 2002 coup against President Hugo Chávez took place.

And, a few minutes later, What´s that building, the one across from Casa Blanca. That´s administration. And this one says it´s a jail.

Then, two blocks down the boulevard, Is this where those people were killed. Yes, right here on this overpass.

And where did the shots come from. Over there, on that building.

I bought a few postcards another block away but had to walk about 10 more blocks, to Plaza de Candelabria to buy the stamps. Being a stamp collecter before I was a teen, I will not mail postcards without real stamps.

This morning, I moved from the hotel El Conde (which means Count; I didn´t know) in Chávez country, Silencio, to Altamira, rabid anti-Chávez country. Both areas are entirely different from each other. Casa Blanca is in Miraflores but I am not sure if it sits in barrio Silencio or is adjacent to it. Like Kingston, half of Caracas seems to be selling and half seems to be buying. The activity on the streets in that area is extremely intense, small booths packing sidwalk after sidewalk.

Two men warned me today to keep a wary eye on my money. I bought five CDs for 10,000 Bolivares from a guy. I heard a song being played this morning while I was on my way, via metro, to Hotel Floresta in Altamira. It is about nine stops from Capitolio. It was a difficult haul with my backpack, a smaller bag and my laptop. Luckily, at about 9, it wasn´t rush hour and I made it without being a nuisance to other riders.

I had told the guy I would return for the album. I deliberately asked him not to play them because I like the idea of being surprised. Let´s see what type of surprise awaits me in Bush country since I forgot to pack my CD player!

I like taking tours early so as to get the lay of the land, but I head into day four, tomorrow, without having done so. I am yet to visit an art museum, and I leave Sunday afternoon.

I bought a Chavista red beret. It´s not really a beret beret, but close enough to it. I think it says Soy Chavista. Something like that, but identifying with him.

Hopefully, he will embarrass the oposition on the August 15 referendum that they moved heaven and high water to wrangle, throwing in several thousand illegal votes, many from the cemetery. If Bush could just get rid of Chávez he could, at the same time, strike another blow against Castro. Even now, I can see the opposition crafting their statements for whatever outcome. Well, that´s normal procedure, isn´t it.

But if they lose, they will raise hell. As will the US government, who so quickly approved the lilliputians who ousted Chávez on 11 April 2002, throwing out the Constitution, abolishing the Congress and the Supreme Court while they were at it. The thugs lasted only a couple days as the president retained the support of the army and his people who took to the streets.

There are a bunch of people dreaming of the good old days when they controlled everything, but the forgotten folks are more interested in a future that offers them more than they dared wish for in the past.

I am yet to get any information regarding places in Altamira worthing visiting. I may remain or I may make another move in a couple days. We´ll see.

PBB

No comments: