Thursday, August 26, 2004

Moscow, 26 August 2004

MISTAKES

You would think this is the first time I ever left home!

I failed to bring a transformer and am unable to recharge my batteries at 240 Volts.

I failed to bring extra batteries.

My camera informed me this evening that my batteries are low.

I failed to get the room at $75 so I wound up paying $120 for the first night and now $86.

I failed to bring an English-Russian dictionary and the only word I know is spaceba (thanks). I have grave doubts about the spelling and some doubt about the pronunciation. But they understand what I mean.


INTERNET

The business office at the hotel charges 6 rubles a minute. $1 = 29 rubles. So one hour would cost 360 rubles, which is roughly $12.

I am now sitting in a much more interesting place, Netcity, on Kamergergskiy Per, and am paying 60 rubles/hour. They charged me 100 rubles for two hours, $1.72/hour because it is after 8 PM.


THERE GOES THE SUN

The sun goes to bed quite late here in Moscow. Yesterday, I watched it, from my window in room 9145, dip below the horizon, behind Red Square, at 8:45 PM.

I wore a tee-shirt yesterday but this evening put on a jacket.

Patrick Barry Barr


PBB

No comments: