Saturday, August 28, 2004

Moscow, 28 August 2004 - Day 4

LOST

A couple days ago, I thought I had done everything right. I took the front of the No. 7 train. I got off at Kitay-Gorod. I walked to the front, and when I emerged, I was in foreign territory. Because this is Moscow, nobody could or was willing to help me. Of course, I am assuming they know their own city, which is going too far.

I retraced my steps a few times and, finally, a policeman told me how to get back to the hotel.

Then yesterday, it just popped into my head why I did everything right but everything turned out wrong. I had the direction completely wrong. The front of the train only works when I am coming from Planerskaya. The back is what works when I am going to Planerskaya.

I also got turned around in the hotel yesterday, but I solved that by leaving the building and walking around to the front desk.

MOSCOW

I assume that when people the world over think of the United States of America, they think of that symbol, that gift from France, the Statue of Liberty.

When I think of Moscow, and Russia in general, I think of that incredibly colorful building, with all those onions on top. When I coughed up $120, I could see it from my room 9145, the Cathedral of the Intercession (Cathedral of St. Basil the Blessed), but now that I am stuck in the back, practically in the Moscow River, at a beggardly $86, I have lost the view.

The cathedral sits at one end of the cobble-stoned Red Square, the fourth largest square in the world. Tian'anmen is, without a doubt, number one. I suppose St. Peter's square in Rome is in there somewhere.

So far, I've walked through Red Square every day to go do the things I have been doing. At the other end of the square stands a red-brick structure and off to the right is the store, GUM. I believe it is an acronym and I will see what I can find out. It has to rank as one of the largest stores in the world!

BOLSHOY/BOLSHOI

The spelling seems to be optional since I have seen both in Moscow.

Anyway, I have extended my stay in Moscow until 4 September because yesterday I bought a ticket to a performance of Fire Angel or Angel on Fire or something that has those two words. The ticket cost me a surprising $14.

So, I paid up at the hotel and this morning found that since I am paying the poverty rate, breakfast is definitely not included.

I also bought my train ticket to St. Petersburg and will leave on the 11:11 PM on 5 September and arrive sometime in the morning. Here's hoping I am not with a bunch of folks who smoke.

NIKE

I panicked for a whole two minutes yesterday when I couldn't find my vintage, 30+ year, black Nikes. But I did find it. Now I have to find an email address for the company to ask them how to repair the sole. It could be the most comfortable shoe or sneaker I ever wore and it was black before black sneakers were cool. Bought them at Herald Square in a store that no longer exists.

Patrick Barry Barr


I also

No comments: