Tuesday, October 05, 2004

BILBAO

EMERGENCY

If you ever need to go to the emergency of any hospital during your vacation, make it The Hospital Civil de Basurto, in Bilbao.

I had thought of seeing a doctor in Vilnius for my throat; then I thought of seeing one in Paris. But I didn't. I have had to sleep sitting up several nights because of my throat and was extremely conscious of my coughing, during the night, in the Peace and Love hostel.

Anyway, I took a street car to the last stop, Basuro, and walked to the hospital. I thought it funny that Emergency was so far from the front gate for a person on foot. After about 15 minutes, a pleasant woman took my information and asked me to wait for my name to be called; which took about 20 minutes. A pleasant woman took my temperature and blood pressure, both of which I forgot to ask for. Finally, another took me to a room where I met Dr. Anat, if I recall (you know me and names). He was very pleasant and had two students. He said it was fine; nothing out of the ordinary, and gave me three things to take.

I asked him where I should pay and he told me that it did not cost anything. I told him that one day I would send a donation.

I wished them hasta luego, then corrected myself: Adios. Nice as they are, you don't want to be seeing them again.

Patrick Barry Barr

No comments: