Tuesday, October 05, 2004

BILBAO, SPAIN

It was on that train from Paris's Gare d'Austerlitz, the 11:14 PM to Irun, Spain that I suffered much. Don't forget (how could you, I haven't yet told you) that I was still (am still) nursing a sore throat.

I got this sore throat in Vilnius, during some opera or ballet, when, during intermission, I went outside to get some fresh air. I noted then that I was not wearing my tam, having removed it inside because it was hot. Now, I know my system. I knew I was threading on dangerous ground here. And, of course, next day by throat became some.

We arrived in Irun about 7:30 AM and I spoke twice with a very irritated woman at the information desk. I believe she had a headache.

As she said, I went to NO. 1 platform, ascertained there were no trains either to San Sebastian nor Bilbao. I went to the bus to Bilbao and asked the driver if the bus had a toilet. He said yes, and it left in about5 minutes. I ran and bought a ticket. I've never had better service on a bus. The guy gave us earphones. Even gave us a small book, which, if I were on the ball, I would be able to tell you the title, but I am not myself yet.

On arrival, I got some hotel and hostel info at the bus station. I took a spanking new metro to the old town, Casco Viejo. Got help finding the first hostel but they didn't seem to have what I needed so the lady sent me to Hostel Roquefer where I got a room for 30 euros.

Patrick Barry Barr

No comments: