Thursday, February 26, 2004

barrbq100@hotmail.com


João Pessoa, Paraíba, Brasil

About four days ago, I paid for my hotel and left to find the city of Olinda. On the way to the bus, I questioned many people about where to find the bus stop. Two guys, in their 20's told me they were going to Olinda. So the bus came, and I stuck with them.

About 20 minutes later we pulled into Olinda. The taller was obviously the leader. We both followed where he led. I offered them a drink and we stopped at a bar. He chose where we sat. The beer came, we toasted and we drank. Another bottle came. Ditto.

The bill came. R$4. It was my responsibility to pay. No problem. I had that programmed in my head.

We walked to what appeared to be the heart of the city. A road lined with people past ready to party. Some dressed in costumes, many apparent tourists, many sitting in the houses and establishments that lined the street.

One of the guys bought a beer and I drank almost a cup when I thought it would be a good idea to get a room here. The first place had no rooms. The second place, where our leader went to check, was that loony place that that had a room just waiting for me at the price of R$1,500.

It's strange how those robbers on the bridge spotted me as a guy with money, now this woman, who offered to call the owner. She came back with the offer of a broom-closet-sized room for R$170. A guy inside told me about the pool. Big deal. I can't even float. No thanks.

When I went outside, the other follower told me I owed R$2 for another bottle of beer. That's when I handed over the money and say my goodbyes.

Interesting how the guys on the bridge plundered my pocket using guile and brute force, where this leader was using guile to get into my pocket as well.

I walked a bit more and made inquiries, which lead me to the galleries near the Igreja da Sé. (I may have to correct that later.)

I will talk next about the room I rented for two days.

PBB

No comments: