Friday, February 20, 2004

Recife, Pernambuco

Returned to bed after writing this morning and went to Shopping Boa Vista to buy aspirin. I took two.

PRODUCT WARNING: Take everything I say about Brasil with a grain of salt. Today, I heard a lot of loudspeakers talking about Re-ci-fi (with a short "i' at the end). Somebody in Natal told me it was Re-cife. But I will take the word of the Recifians (if that is the name).

Got my clothes from the laundry and returned to bed at about 2 o'clock. Talked to my body to get the pressure down. I know when it is high without taking a measurement. The only question is how high. In other words, will I send a blog tomorrow? That kind of feeling.

I had been told twice today that there would be a procession nearby this afternoon. There happens to be the headquarters of a Bloco two blocks away. So, after I got up, I walked to the headquarters, where people were arriving at a steady pace. The music never stopped! I continued to take a lot of pictures but it wasn't easy because there is a delay of about half a second when I press the button and the people bouncing up and down to the music aren't about to accommodate my lazy camera.

I might have been there for about two hours when they decided to get the show on the road. But just before that, a guy and his friend posed for their picture, so I took it. They were so delighted when I showed them that I was awarded a beer, Brahma, a Brasilian brand. I only drink the local brand when I travel. Unfortunately, his shouting in my ear over the music, didn't help me understand any better. Afterwards, I went to thank him and he rewarded me with something out of a Coke bottle with a little liquor added.

I photographed a woman, she reluctantly, but she seemed to like the result. I saw her about ten minutes later, and three other women presented themselves to be photographed. I will share their photos with you another time.

Since it was only a long block from my hotel, I stopped at Confrario On Line to write.

Speaking of the hotel, let me tell you what type of hotel it is:
I have to pay every morning
Nobody under 18 is permitted to stay there (I wonder why)
Ants are in charge of the dining room (but I do prefer them to flies, or the roaches with whom I lived in the New Reina Hotel in Buenos Aires)
People tend to ignore you when you say Bon dia

But I actually have no problems with Room 204. It has three single beds - my clothes live on one, and I sleep in another. OK, so I love hard mattresses.

Something significant will happen early in the morning. It is called Galo de Madrugada (about noon Saturday.)

In the past I thought that February was carnaval but all is pre-carnival until the 21st.)

It takes place, Galo de Madrugada, about 10 blocks away, a 12-15 minute walk.

Bye for now.

PBB

No comments: