Friday, February 27, 2004

MAP MAKERS

I believe map makers are an irresponsible lot. They never, ever apologize for not making the map life-size, nor admit that an inch is an inch, but not on the map.

If you only look at the map then start walking to your destination, you could end up taking the bus back two days later, after a walk, that judging by the map, should have taken you 35 minutes.

I arrive in every city, like Columbus, without a clue:

Where do I get a map?
Where do I find tourist information?
Do I enter the bus in front or in back?
How much is the bus fare, and do I need exact change?
Is there a metro?
Where is a safe, affordable hotel in an interesting part of town (Where are the museums, restaurants, and highly populated at 11 pm)?

Then by day two you begin to get the knack of things. And, by the time I start getting into the swing of things, I take off and start all over again.

I remember in Toronto, before the bus comes to a stop you have to step down or the door won't open. I believe in Madrid and Barcelona, you have to twist the knob of the subway to open the door because all doors don't open as they do in New York.

I am absolutely in love with cities. I spent five days in the jungle in northern Perú and they rank among the worst in my life. No news, no radio, no TV. I didn't even know Bush's health. Maddening.

When I travel, I head for capitals. And when I arrive in the capitals, I head for the center of the city. But that is not always an interesting formula. João Pessoa is one example, and Oklahoma City, where I went on assignment for AT&T in another life, is another. You see, some downtowns are very heavily commercial and you know what that means. Every shuts up their property, roll up the welcome carpet and head for home. So you step out of your hotel and find a couple bars.

I spent a night downtown João Pessoa. It wasn't unpleasant. It seemed quite safe and people were out in the park at 11 o'clock, sitting and chatting. If I had gone searching, who knows, I may have found a bar or club open.

But I switched to the ocean-front area and it is quite nice. My hotel yesterday was next door to the internet café. Today, I have this wonderful room on the ocean, No. 21, second floor, on the same road, about three minutes away, instead of three seconds.

I look forward to being in that room until Monday morning, when I take a cab to the bus station for the 9:30 AM for my 6-1/2 hour trip south to Maceió.

PBB


No comments: