Wednesday, February 25, 2004

João Pessoa, Paraíba, Brasil

Don't know what button I hit the last time but my message has not appeared. I recall saying that I have been hearing two pronunciations of Recife. Maybe it has to do with the educational level.

In Brasil, for about five days after the start of carnival on about the 21st of February (I am not keeping notes), the cities seem to go on life support. The movies seem to be considered essential services in Recife.

I'll always remember Recife. How can you possibly forget a city where two professionals team up on the Boa Vista bridge (Good View Bridge) to give you a good shove on your left, while his partner plunges his hand, with the skill of a heart surgeon, into your right pocket, to extract all the notes while leaving the change.

Of course, growing up in a city like Kingston prepares you well for live in big cities. My coins generally reside in the pocket he went for; my smaller bills in the lower right pocket, and larger bills in the left lower pocket. He probably got between R$12 to R$20 which is roughly $3.10 to $5.20.

Some people would ask, why don't these people look for work? I believe picking the pockets of unsuspecting people is work. I believe begging is work.

But it wasn't a pretty situation. Looking at the guy afterwards while he avoided eye-contact. You are essentially helpless. We are talking about gangs here ... on their turf. You chalk it up to experience and move on. I turned out all my pockets and made the trip back to the hotel.

More later!

PBB

No comments: