Friday, September 17, 2004

HELSINKI

(Actually in Tallinn)

COST OF LIVING

It costs a lot to visit Finland.

It cost a lot to live there as well, but I was chatting with a Finn yesterday, after visiting that church among the rocks. I bought a tee-shirt for 10 euros and considered it a bargain. He said, yes, it was pretty expensive but education and health were free. (Where did I hear that before, of course, in little old Cuba, a state so Communist they provide health care and education free). The taxes are pretty high also.

COLLEGE STUDENTS GO WILD

The semester has just started in Helsinki. Which means that a lot of students are costumed, some in red, others in yellow, some in business suits, some as doctors and nurses, name it.

This morning, before checking out, I was walking on Mannenheit (or something like that since I don't have my map with me) when I saw three students in bright red outfits. Two guys and a girl. I asked them what all that was about. They said they were second year students and it was a tradition to order around the first year students. (In the US they call it hazing, and students have died as a result.)

Yesterday, I saw a girl emerge from the pool on market square. Believe me, the water was cold.

So it is just one of those traditions where they have a good time before settling down to study hard.

It got a laugh when the youngster with a bottle of beer slurred his words and I pointed to the bottle and said: "I understand." Even he approved of the joke.

Patrick Barry B.

No comments: