Thursday, September 02, 2004

JAMAICA REPRESENTS ON REVOLUTION SQUARE

Thanks to Donovan for sharing photos of Jamaica's Golden Women. I am sorry I missed the 200 metres, but I did get to see the 4x100 relay. My hotel only carries about 6 Russian stations, but if you read their promo you would think they carry everything on TV.

I was happy to see a real large Puma add on Revolution Square. The ad shows two male relay runners, against a white background, dressed in skin-tight Jamaican colors, one passing the baton to the other. I took a picture, of course, but cannot share with you until I return to the US end of October.

You get to Revolution Square after you have left St. Basil's Cathedral, walked the entire length of Red Square, then pass through one of the gates that leads you immediately to Zero Kilometer. At that spot begins the distances to other parts of Russia. It is the center of Moscow and people stand on the spot, I suppose they make a wish, then throw a small coin over their shoulder. The moment it hits the ground, women who stand around, collect the coins. The saying is that if you give something, it will ensure that you come back.

As you enter Revolution Square you can see the famous Marshall Zhukov, hero of World War II, defending Russia against the Germans; then you enter Manezhnaya Square, where I finally found the highly-rated internet cafe and club, Phlegmatic Dog. I don't know yet, but it seems that the internet is free and you pay for the drinks. I will report later. But it is quite a hip spot, and very near to the hotel. I can get here in 12 minutes.

PBB

No comments: