Saturday, September 04, 2004

THERE GOES THE SUN

I had a piece all ready to go, and here comes the sun. I send it anyway:

The wonderful, sunny days that welcomed me to Moscow when I arrived are just about gone. I enjoyed it while it lasted.

For the past two or three days, it has rained. And no question it is going to rain today.

I awoke after 6 o'clock this morning, so I must be getting back to normal. At the same time, I am physically and mentally ready to leave Moscow. I am no longer taking stairs two at a time, although I am still walking up and down escalators that take forever to get where you are going.

This morning I bought a pair of binoculars so I can zoom in on the faces at the Bolshoi tonight. "Bolshoy" means large, so I expect to see a huge place. I think the performance starts at 9 o'clock. Must check.

I only have Russian TV in my room and have been watching the tragedy in North Ossentia, which is near if not on the border with Georgia. I don't even want to start talking about that.

Tomorrow night, at about 10:15, my train should be pulling out for St. Petersburg.

This morning, I went to see if I could find a biography of Pushkin for a good price. I got turned about real badly, but finally reoriented myself and got back on track. I didn't find anything on Pushkin but bought Victor Hugo's Les Miserables, and J. D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye.

I will read The Catcher again because, like Billie Holiday, you must be in a good frame of mind for Heinrich Boll. He is so good, but he doesn't let you come up for air; he keeps punching you in the gut. An incredible writer and Nobel Prize in Literature in 1972. He packs a punch and I want to chuckle and smile a bit before I become a Muscovite.

I probably mentioned I got a room at $74 for three nights in St. Petersburg. The Hotel Neva is ner Nevsky Prospekt, which is probably wider than the Champs Elysees.

Time to check on the news.

Bye.

PBB

No comments: