Tuesday, September 28, 2004

SMART MEDIA to CD

I have had a most expensive problem. When I run out of SmartMedia, those little disks that capture pictures in my Olympus camera, I usually resort to buying new ones for up to $60, sometimes more, sometimes less. When I am on the road I cannot transfer them to my laptop because my lap doesn't accompany me on trips. I travel alone, remember?

I suspected there was an answer and I found it today in Warsaw. I went to this place called Laboratorium on Place Mirowski and, with the help of a very pleasant staff member, stuck five different SmartMedia devices into a machine, loaded each one, selected every photo (I guess up to 260 or more), printed them to CD and sent them all to a computer.

I returned about two hours later, even though I could have recovered the CD earlier, to collect the CD. I paid about PLN 9.50, which is Zloty, their money. One Zloty is worth about $3.48.

I paid another PLN 9.50 to copy the CD. I will store both in separate places then clean off all five SmartMedia and be ready for the month of October in Paris, Bilbao, Milan, Florence and Venice before reuniting with my laptop on 25 October. A least, that's the plan.

PBB

No comments: