Tuesday, September 28, 2004

SLEEPING BEAUTY IN VILNIUS

Yesterday afternoon, I performed at the Lithuanian National Opera and Ballet Theater, following the curtain call for Sleeping Beauty. for the police.

I had attended Don Quixote and Rigoletto, without incident, the two previous nights. Now, as I moved toward the exit, with hundreds of other theater-goers, I was stopped by two armed policemen, an apologetic staff member, and a man in black. They invited me to a side of the lobby and, without being asked, I produced my passport and started my impromptu performance.

I said something about if "niggers" can't attend the opera, but was so pissed that I cannot really quote myself. But I didn't press the point.

The young guy, the staff translator, kept apologizing. "People" had complained, he said. Not "somebody", but "people." They were uncomfortable because I looked Muslim, or was it Arab.

They were just responding to these complaints, they explained. I grabbed my passport when the policeman returned it.

I told the translator to tell them that I was leaving Vilnius that night and wouldn't be returning. Which he did.

The bottom line is that I understand very well their concern. After all, Beslan is just a few weeks ago. Even Muslims sometimes hail me A Salaam Aleikum! And I am never usually sharp enough to respond As aleikum salaam, or something of the sort.

Also, people have thrown off plans in the great United States because passengers complained that they looked "Muslim" and that they were uncomfortable. And just this past week, the U.S. Government prevented the former Cat Stevens, who sang one of my favorite songs of the Sixties, prevented him from entering the country and sent him packing to England, I believe.

I understand this all, but my righteous indignation just kicked in without me even being at the controls.

Patrick Barry Barr

No comments: