Thursday, September 16, 2004

MORE EUROS, PLEASE

It was 6:50 PM and the sun was thinking of going to bed in another fifteen minutes or so, I calculated. I was hurrying towards an impressive white church in the distance and I thought I'd have enough light to take a picture.

I saw a woman with a one of those carts that fold and unfold, full with what seemed to be clothing. She was left behind by this woman approaching me with a baby in her arms.

"Do you speak English?, she enquired. I knew what was coming but I let her go on.

"I am from Kosovo and I have an appointment with immigration tomorrow ... and my baby is not well. Can you give me some money?"

I ignored the sun, went into my pocket and handed her 5 euros, which today, I understand, is about $5, or pretty close.

"Can you give me two more?, she asked.

Patrick Barry Barr

No comments: