Monday, September 20, 2004

TALLINN

SOLITUDE

It is lonely out here!

For the 35 years that I have been travelling, I guess I have travelled alone at least 97 percent of the time.

Consequently, I have perfected the art of conversation ... with myself.

It is a thin line between sanity and insanity, I think. Should I begin to verbalize my conversations, I will be labelled a mad man. Many Peruvians, hampered by their racism and superstition, already consider me crazy.

In fact, I do sometimes verbalize! But I am sane enough to know just when to do so. It seems to be a natural extension of those inner conversations.

More often though, what is taking place in my head is not so much conversation, as writing. I am constantly writing and rewriting. Which is why the blog is a necessary component of my sanity. A blog is more useful to me than it could be to any of my friends who may choose to read it.

For you, the blog will tell you where I happen to be and what has been happening in my life.

To me, the blog is a depository. If I dont write and post, I will continue to rewrite, and rewrite ... endlessly. Because everything that I write can be improved, amended. There is always another angle, another approach. And it is usually better than what I had before. So, what is happening in my head is this continuous activity. When I write and post, there is no point rewriting anymore. It is done. Move on. It is no longer percolating in my brain. It is a relief after I hit the Publish Post button.

So, now you know why I am the sanest person you have ever met!

Patrick Barry Barr

No comments: