Wednesday, September 22, 2004

RIGA

THE POOR SHOULD STAY HOME - PART 2

I actually got side-tracked on the first part. This is what I wanted to tell you about.

Yesterday, a few hours after arriving in Riga, I went to the cash machine and tried to withdraw $200. (On reflection, however, that was a terrible idea because I am going to be here only two days, and leave on the third).

The machine said: "You gotta be out of your mind!"

So, I tried again and came up with $100.

Later, I counted about 39 Lats in my pocket (roughly one Lat gets you about $2), I panicked. Really panicked.

Much later, I remembered that I had left some of the money in my wallet and put some in my pockets. OK, so I actually had 60 Lats more in my wallet. (Forget the $230 in my wallet.)

So, here I am with $69 in the bank, and a few Lats in my pocket. I am not getting paid until the end of the month. I need to get to Lithuania, then to Poland, leaving Poland even before I get paid, for Paris. Panic. I bought fruit, thinking that I better start saving the little I had.

Then today, I went to pay my hotel bill. The guy doesn't take credit cards. I must pay cash. My room has four beds, so it is not as if I am paying five star prices, but still. Then he tells me the bill is 18 Lats. I gave him a 20 Lat bill.

Now, I am keeping my fingers crossed that they accept credit cards in Lithuania.

Postscript: And I didn't even tell you about the panic in Tallinn, when, with 45 minutes for departure, I couldn't find a credit card and a bank card!!! Anyway, I decided to take the bus and contact Citibank and Bank of America when I arrived in Riga. I was putting my luggage ticket in my passport when the two cards almost tumbled out of my jacket pocket.

Did somebody ever say, All's well that ends well? Well, you can quote me.

Patrick Barry B.

No comments: