Monday, September 20, 2004

LAUNDRY

I arrived for my laundry about 430 PM, half an hour before I was told it would be available. The woman who took them indicated, since we cannot communicate verbally, that the laundry was ready.
She collected them, neatly folded, and brought them. They thumbed through them to let me know they were all there. I tried to fish out my bag to put them and she came just short of rapping me on my knuckles. She went for a bag and put them in it.

I thanked her and dashed out, heading for the bus stop to get back into the city. After walking hurriedly, looking back now and then to see if the bus was coming, I was just across the street from the bus, when it occurred to me. I hadnt tipped her.

I wondered why I was in such a hurry. I turned back, and taking a short cut saw this beautiful purple flower, sitting there in the grass. I returned to the laundry and they called her. She approached wondering what the hell could the matter be. I handed her a 10 Kroon note. She stll wondered what the hell was the matter. Then it hit her. I was tipping her.

I left and returned to find the flower and take a photo.

Patrick Barry Barr

No comments: