Saturday, September 11, 2004

MY HERMITAGE

A few days ago, I learned why the Winter Palace is called the Hermitage. There is this incredible room, in the Hermitage, which contains this clock that has to be seen to be believed. It is a peacock, golden. Turns out that my favorite Czarina, Catherine, was able dine alone without even the maids entering, because there seemed to be some kind of dumb waiter on which food could be sent to the room.

She said it was her hermitage. Think of "hermit".

So, I figure that where I am staying, in room 8, at 17 Konyushennaya Street, as the only guest, that is my hermitage. The building is under construction and, I haven't counted, but there may be about 12 or more rooms, with a shared bath. A woman arrives in the mornings and leaves in the evenings, so I am completely on my own otherwise.

So I can hang my underwear to dry in the bathroom without it getting in anybody's way.

Patrick Barry B

No comments: