Wednesday, September 22, 2004

RIGA, LATVIA

The Old Town in Tallinn doesn't come close when compared to the Old Town in Riga.

I arrived in a slight rain yesterday at about 3:30 o'clock and walked through the market to the Posh Backpackers hostel. Had long conversations with the proprietor who was in the Latvian Army and knows much of the history of the region and beyond.

There are tons of different newspapers in Riga which I consider is probably one of the highest percentage of newspaper readers on the planet.

Bought a ticket already today for 7 Lats to leave at 10 tomorrow morning for Vilnius, Lithuania.

Was walking around this morning when I was invited by Dr. Marty, a wonderful American woman who resides in Toronto, to join the group. She spotted my tam and read me to be Jamaican. She is incredibly well travelled, a psychologist, and is well plugged into people, versus the buildings and monuments. She was inclined to listen to me more than the guide. Obviously, she has fine taste.

Patrick Barry Barr

No comments: